Day 1
So we started our Prague adventure on Tuesday after getting out from our classes. We double checked our bags and made sure they were the right dimensions for them to let us carry them on, because the cheap airlines are super strict and we’re only allowed one small bag each.Lucky for us, they fit!! So we got ourselves to the train station, onto the Gatwick Express to the Gatwick Airport. Once we got past security, they had a whole freaking mall inside, and since we were in an international airport, there was no tax. Victory!!! And since we were super-duper early, courtesy Elise (love her,) we had time to shop our little hearts out! I love London shopping….
But then we hopped on the EasyJet to Prague! I got to chat with Julie and Elise the whole way over. It was so fun to get to know Julie better, because she's in a different room as us, so therefore, we never really had the chance to talk to her. But we have Tons in common!!
But I knew as soon as we were through the airport that I was going to love it here. My customs dude who stamped my passport was way Way hot, and the guy who picked us up from the airport rocked. It was a sign. Hahahaha! After that, we just chilled in our amazing five star Marriott for the night (which we were able to get SUPER cheap, thanks Paige and her Mom!) I LovE the cheap pampering experience. What a perfect start to a perfect birthday weekend! We were super excited for the Marriott because it had a hot tub, but we got there and it was broken. Remember this fact, because it comes into play later…
Look at our fancy, nice, relaxing, and perfect hotel room!
Haha, nobody knows why I am under the bed. I would.
and then.. Missionaries!
(It was so funny, we almost went up and posed with them like a normal picture, but then we were afraid of even touching them at all, so we all ended up on our own row. Bahaha! The two closest to me are coming to BYU in the spring.
Day 3
Since we’re good little students, we started the day off with something historically significant. We went to the Jewish Quarter. A short walk from our hotel, we bought tickets to go to two of the Museums there, the Pinkas synagogue, and the Jewish cemetery. The synagogue is now a Holocaust memorial with the names of 80,000 murdered Bohemian Jews on the walls. It was especially neat for me because it had a monument built for the Jews killed in the concentration camps, and the name of the concentration camp My Grandpa NYLAN ELLSWORTH invaded and freed was listed. I’m so proud of him and lucky to have such a courageous Grandpa. He was sure a cutie and I love him so much.
The walls inside the memorial were painted with all the names of Jews who were killed in Concentration camps.
Look how packed the graveyard was! It's really neat that this graveyard survived years of Nazi occupation in Prague. Most of the Jew cemeteries were not so lucky.
The Jewish cemetery was insane, as well. There are 12,000 tombstones in that tiny area, all stacked up right next to each other and tipping all over the place. This is because there are 100,000 bodies buried there since Jews were only allowed to be buried in that one cemetery. There are bodies stacked under there, and the ground is literally raised.
Then we discovered a souvenir shop that was big, open, and bright that still had the cheap prices. So of course I bought a shirt that said “Czech ME Out.” Remember this store, because it comes back into play tomorrow for quite a dramatic story.
Our Barbarian Feast came next. We had ham that had been roasting on a stick all day in Old Town Square (we saw them hours earlier that morning…) The sausage was good, too, but I was all about the ham. After this, we were absolutely exhausted so we went back to the hotel and took a quick three-hour power nap. Haha, Oopsy!!
We could smell this heavenly feast from a mile away.
Definitely my first taste of Beer. [since that one time when I was 4]
(Non-alcoholic, of course.)
Oh my goodness. I want to go to Prague so bad. Not cool Carly, not cool.
ReplyDeletePs. Amanda threw up in her mouth when she saw the picture of you on the floor of the hotel room. I think the floor of a public bathroom would be cleaner.