Thursday, January 27, 2011

Craving More Canterbury


Road trip!! So apparently Wednesdays are Castle-closed days. Haha, I wish someone had told us before we drove two hours to tour Dover Castle. Oh well! It was fun to look at it from the gate and from the beach. So the beach was so neat- it was totally a pebble beach! Classic Carly: I took one boot off and stood in the freezing cold water. Only two of us actually braved the cold with our feet :) I loved it! We were at a beach on the English Channel that looked up on the white cliffs of Dover and we could see the castle on the top of the cliffs covered in fog. So pretty!

Even though the first part of our day was shorter than planned, we still had an excellent day because we then headed to Canterbury. I love Canterbury and everything about it! It was such a cool town and had the most amazing shops. We went through the Canterbury Cathedral and I stood right where Thomas Beckett was martyred. I have learned so much British history these past few weeks, it's ridiculous. The best part of the day was that I bought a new coat; one that isn't black and doesn't make me look like a burnt puffy marshmallow! (Mom, don't get me wrong, I love my coat and have never once been cold because I'm always so fetching hot, but I feel so drab wearing black all of the time) It's blue and I love it!

To top off the night, I tried Indian food for the very first time. Well, technically I have been eating my mom's curry for years, but it's not spicy at all and I don't feel like it counts as legitimate Indian food..... Thanks, Brady, for recommending the Chicken Tikki Masal. It was Spectacular!! I went with my friends Paige and Ramzi and it was nice to be out with just a small group for a change. My new favorite form of bread: fresh n'aan. N'aan. A glorified tortilla that fills my soul with more joy than the easter bunny. It's That good! I love my life.


Dover Castle. Too bad it was closed!
Notice the "do not enter" blockade in the driveway? Haha, shoot.
Here's the beach. These sand granules are tiny!
Of course I'm trying to build a castle and failing...

I love that you can see the white cliffs in the background. They're made famous by some poet, but I can't recollect who right now..
Ramzi and I went in with some bare fleshed feet. Brrrr!
I love my purse. Best Chinatown decision I have ever made.

This is Kaylee, Me, Elise and Liz shopping in Canterbury. Bliss.
Here I am in front of Canterbury Cathedral. It has the coolest Gothic architecture.
(Don't worry, the H&M bag contains the coolest coat, ever)
Here's where St. Thomas Beckett was martyred. Apparently his brains fell all over the floor. Gruesome. Awesome.
We LOVE road-trips on the bus!
But mostly we sleep the whole time, so it's not that exciting, really.
Here I am, about to try my first Indian cuisine! Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment