Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dicken's Old Curiosity Shop

I am so proud of myself! I think I only fell asleep in class today for less than a single minute!!! I rock! Don't get me wrong, class is immensely interesting, but it's hard to save energy for the classroom when I am constantly exhausting myself in the city....
Here's part of today's walking group by
The Royal Courts of Justice

Today a group of us explored an unfamiliar part of the city and found some really cool locations. We went by the Royal Courts of Justice, the four inns of court, law courts in the Strand, Dicken's Old Curiosity Shop (he wrote about it in one of his novels. It's the oldest shop in all of London,) Chancery Lane, and the London Silver Vaults. I also found a monument to the Knight's Templar; I don't remember their significance from world history in 9th grade, but I intend to find out.... Basically, we walked through a calm part of the city through these small alleys, walked through old courts and quiet gardens. During one part, though, we walked through a university campus- it was so refreshing to see girls and boys my own age walking around with backpacks!

Here we are outside The Old Curiosity Shop

This is the Knight's Templar pillar that I plan on researching


My Bunkmate Sharon and I were thrilled to see the river


And I got to be on Kitchen Crew again tonight! (Insert a huge, forced, cheesy grin here.) We're the most efficient crew so far, and we get it done quickly and cheerfully. I love my group! I am excited for the release-day when I don't have to release four hours from my schedule to scrub pans and floors! I feel like a cleaning lady all over again.

1 comment: